Friday, December 11, 2009

Raising a Child while trying to raise your business.


It has been a while since I have written about my adventures.  My daughter Grace is now 22 months old and an amazing little girl. She is smart, well rounded - she loves the outdoors as well as reading, well looking at the pictures. She is not overly spoiled and is just now being introduced to the TV. I believe in the studies that state the TV watching in the early stages can be a contributing factor for ADHD or even obesity.
Raising a child alone is a very difficult thing. Over the next few blogs I am going to go through some challenges I have faced as a single parent working at home.
The biggest challenge so far is the ability to sit and laugh and relax and enjoy the new things Grace is doing now.  As the mother you are focused on making sure they are eating right, playing safe, learning and of course having fun. As the home owner / parent you are also focused on the cleanliness of the house, prep of the food, laundry and making sure the house is safe for the child to play in.  As the business owner, you are also always focused on the building aspect, pleasing a client, marketing etc.
How do I manage? She is in daycare m-f at TLC. I focus MOST of my work  during those hours and when I pick her up she becomes my focus ( mostly - having an Iphone helps LOL). I try to keep a regular routine after I pick her up. Wegmans (she loves it and Wegmans loves her) when needed, home to do dinner, bath, reading and then bed. We all know there are going to be diversions through out that schedule, but if kept to the general schedule we do fine and I have more time to focus on her during the reading or even between dinner and bath.  Having this schedule  / routine seems to help out a lot. But it is not everything.
I will see you back here in the eve for my next biggest challenge and how I manage.
I would love to hear your comments and questions. Please follow this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Julie,

    Love your web site and blog. Suggestion, check your web site for typos, missing or wrongly used punctation, and words missing in sentence flow. You have a couple.

    Regarding you WHAM blog. I would keep that separate from your main web site. You want people to think you are more than one person. The blog may be great for WHAM and other single mothers,but will raise red flags to other business owners that you have too much on your plate to do good work for them. You and I know that isn't true but that is what they will think.

    Am proud of what you have created. It looks great and answers questions small business owners may have. You might want to focus more on the viral marketing aspect of marketing for small businesses. Are you using twitter to generate business? Am curious about it and would like to know more.

    Love you bunches
    Mom

    ReplyDelete